Are You Working From Home With Kids?
Do you find yourself working from home and your children learning remotely? How are you coping and managing? How do you balance being productive and helping your kids?
We’ve been trying to find the balance in our household for a good two weeks now. I thought I would share some tips and tricks that have worked for us. I think the key for most kids (and adults) is trying to keep the same routine as they normally have – get up, brush your teeth, get dressed, have breakfast.
My kids have thrived on a schedule and what we call “block time”. The boys like knowing what they will be doing and when. We have needed to adjust our times slightly as their school times have adjusted, being flexible and willing to adjust has helped tremendously.
There have been a few days where we have not followed our schedule and the day doesn’t go nearly as well. There is more whining, complaining and everyone is a lot less productive!
This Is Our Schedule
- 7:30 am – 8:10 am – Take the dog for a walk/play outside
- 8:30 am – 11:30 am – School/Academic work – if they finish “school” early then reading/word finds/puzzles/journal work
- 11:30 am – 12:00 pm – Free time – inside or outside
- 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm – Inside chores – emptying the dishwasher, vacuuming, folding laundry, picking up
- 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm – Lunch – we usually have lunch together and play a game or go for a family walk
- 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm – Quiet Time in their rooms – no screens
- 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm – Outdoor Chores – raking, picking up sticks
- 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Free time – we try to have this be outside riding bikes, playing with the dog, fishing, etc. and will let them have 30 minutes of screen time in here as well
What Works For You?
Our boys thrive on knowing what is expected of them and that what they are doing has a set amount of time. I know there are also kids who do better without schedules. All kids are different and will excel with different methods. I have spoken with other families and the block time doesn’t work for them – it is too restrictive, instead they have lists of things they need to accomplish during the day and can do it at their own pace. Do what is best for your family, set boundaries and have fun with it when you can. Hopefully we will all be back to normal soon! Stay safe.
If you need help with your business, finances, or anything else during this time, just let us know. We’re here to help.